You Know Our Cross,
But Do You Know Us?
Founded in 1948, the Orlando Union Rescue Mission's Men's Center, with its beloved red cross, is an iconic downtown Orlando landmark and a beacon within the Parramore neighborhood.
Still, many don't know the work of the mission and are surprised to learn that the Men's Center is NOT just a typical homeless shelter -- it's a pathway to a new life for those needing help.
The Men's Center is a life-changing ministry that helps men who want to help themselves, requiring a substantial commitment.
Basic Men's Center Requirements
- Application-based admission.
- Residents must be 100 percent drug and alcohol free.
- New Beginnings classes, and four other mandatory classes, must be completed.
- Must work to earn their high school diploma and / or are gainfully employed.
- Do daily chores around the Mission and keep living quarters clean at all times.
- Attend chapel services in the Mission Church at Moody Chapel and be willing to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. After six months of participating in the program, residents may attend a local church of their choice.
- Actively participate in a path toward self-sufficiency, working with a biblical counselor.
- Limited temporary housing is available on a nightly basis but O.U.R.M. requirements must be met and those unwilling to comply are not admitted.
The Men's Center is 100 percent committed to changing lives,
not just providing a meal and a bed.
A bright new future in Parramore
The beautiful new Men's Center campus, located just a few blocks from the current location, will include a completely self-contained courtyard allowing residents to enter the building away from the streetscape. A chapel is included together with classrooms for use in providing for expanded educational opportunities, spiritual training and job placement assistance.
There will also be a computer lab, study hall, offices for case managers and biblical counselors, a workout room and living space configured in a comfortable environment.