New Men’s Home gets Home Depot makeover
An estimated 650 volunteers from Home Depot and their outdoor product vendors converged on the new Men’s Home site on Tuesday, January 30th, to complete more than $350,000 worth of improvements that will help transform lives for years to come. Over the course of just four hours, these volunteers:
- Installed an irrigation system.
- Planted 80 pallets of sod and 2,500 plants and shrubs.
- Assembled 40 picnic tables, two equipment sheds, and dozens of outdoor benches.
- Created 15,000 square feet of raised garden beds.
- Built a full-size outdoor basketball court.
- Primed the exterior of the residential units in preparation for the next phase of the project.
To say we’re grateful to the Home Depot Foundation — and to Rebuilding Together Orlando for organizing the project — is an understatement.
The Mission is in the process of converting the old Parkwood Inn on East Colonial Drive into a new Men’s Home that will increase capacity from 120 to 200 formerly homeless men. The $6.2 million project — titled Project Hope — is expected to be complete in late spring.
View 360-degree panorama that shows the scope of the project